This page lists the available citizen tour guides that are available for your tour. Each guide has supplied a picture and a brief self description. As the site expands, more feedback will be posted for each guide. We do not utilize government tour guides as that is against the law concerning their use by the United States Government. You must choose one of our guides.
In Key West, we are working with the local attractions to make sure that you get to fully experience the historical significance of Key West. We include a two hour walking tour of Key West with our local historian.
Our Havana Tour Guides
Pavel García Valdés
Pavel graduated from university in 2012 he has a degree in law. Since he was in the top 5% of his class he was given the opportunity to work on his masters in diplomacy and was working for the government. Pavel was very interested in art and giving back to his community so he went to work for an art group that showcases local artists. He is now a registered tour guide and has been working with tourists from America since the thaw in our relations with Cuba. He is a native of Havana and is very knowledgeable on the city and surrounding countryside. He is fluent in English and two additional languages. Pavel is our man in Havana.
Claudia Laguna Chinique
Art History graduate from the University of Havana (2013).
Since 2012, Claudia Laguna works as a Specialist of the Art Department of the Ludwig Foundation of Cuba, an autonomous, non-governmental, not-for-profit, public entity for the protection, preservation and promotion of the work of Cuban contemporary artists within Cuba and abroad. There she has developed numerous activities such as the museography and curatorship of visual arts exhibits as part of the project Inventory, which purpose is to promote the new generation of Cuban artists to create a dialogue with the Cuban contemporary society. Some of the artist she has worked with are: Aissa Santiso, David Beltrán, Rafael Villares, Pablo Víctor Bordón, Adrián Fernández Milanés, Ariamna Contino, Alfredo Sarabia, etc.
Likewise she is often invited to offer lectures about The Visual Arts in Cuba to students from Universities like Baruch College, CUNY (2013), Tisch School of the Arts (Cuban Topics Course, NYU), among others. And she has participated in different workshops related with Arts Management by specialist from Chile (Maximiliano Mayan Gatica, Servicio País Coordinator, and Felipe Mella, Executive Director Balmaceda Arte Joven); EU (Ben Rodríguez, Rockefeller Foundation; Mario Bronfman, Ford Foundation; Nick Schwartz-Hall, Brooklyn Academy of Music; Stephen R. Greenwald, Wagner College, David Terry, New York Foundation for the Arts).
Also, in the continuous interest of the Ludwig Foundation of Cuba on promoting the arts Claudia has been involved on the researching, screening, cataloging information; as well as the setting of the shows with digital reproductions of artists’ works for different sessions of documentaries about the most acknowledged icons of the international art scene and the film industry with the aim of understanding it´s trends. Among the shown artists are: Jackson Pollok, Maya Lin, Andy Warhol, Jean Michel Basquiat, Keith Haring, Robert Mapplethorpe, Bruce Nauman, Nam Jun Paik, Gilbert and George, and Damien Hirst; and, in the films session they have screened: Homage to the 20th Anniversary of TV Serrana, Pina Bausch (Dir. Wim Wenders); How to survive a plague (Dir. David France); Searching for Sugar Man (Dir. Malk Bendjelloul); Three chapter series 1912 Voces para un silencio (Dir. Gloria Rolando); Catfish (Dir. Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman); The Queen of Versailles (Dir. Lauren Greenfield).
Alain Michael Giral Peña
2002 Bachelor of Education, Specialized in English Language.
Alain has held numerous positions in both the educational field and in industry since his graduation.
- 2002- 2006: “Enrique José Varona” Pedagocical University. Position held: Professor.
- December 2007- March 2010: Training Center of the Cuban Oil and Gas Industry, Havana City. Position held: Professor.
- March 2010- September 2011: Joint Venture Cuvenpetrol S.A. (Oil and Gas Industry). Position held: Translator/Interpreter.
- October 2011- September 2016: Trading Company LABIOFAM S.A (Biopharmaceutical Industry). Position held: Translator/Interpreter.
Alain has also provided interpretation and translation services in different negotiations held between the companies he worked for in the oil and gas industry, as well as, in the pharmaceutical industry. He has also provided different delegations attending international events with his services as an interpreter.
Alain speaks French and Italian as well as English and, of course, Spanish. He has worked as a tour guide since 2002 and is highly respected and well liked.
Gretel Bormey Rojas
Date of birth: April 8, 1989
Place of birth: Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Workplace: Ludwig Foundation of Cuba (LFC)Current post: Translator/Interpreter
Languages: Spanish, English, Italian, Portuguese
2003-2006 – Further Education: Vocational Pre-University Institute Vladimir Ilich Lenin, Havana.
2006-2012 – Higher Education: Faculty of Foreign Languages, University of Havana. English Major (Italian as second language). Golden Title.
Undergraduate professional experience:
English teacher of first-year Psychology students. University of Havana, 2009-2010.
- “Baila en Cuba 2010” and 2011”. Interpreter and Coordinator.
- Intern at the Public Relations Department of the Inglaterra Hotel, 2011.
- Workshop on Cuban Contemporary Dance by professors from Danza Contemporánea de Cuba, 2011. Interpreter (LFC).
Workshop on Lighting Design by specialists from the National Theater of Norway, 2011. Interpreter (LFC).
- English teacher of students from China at the Spanish Faculty for Non Spanish-Speakers. University of Havana, 2011.
- “Universidad 2012.” Interpreter and Personal Assistant of the Minister of Education of St Kitts and Nevis, Mr. Nigel Carty.
- Since graduation in 2012, Ms. Bormey has been freelancing in the tourism industry as a tour guide and coordinator. She has worked with various American agencies like BPH Cuba Travel Consulting (with which she has been since the company was founded), Bridges Cuba, OnCuba Travel, and other high profile independent clients/travelers.
- Since May 2016, Ms. Bormey has an independent translator license, with which she can officially and legally be hired as a private interpreter/translator.
Windjammer Charters, LLC Telephone: (305) 307-5195